Introduction: 3D Printed Hex Nut Fidget Spinners
Instead of my daughter asking me to buy her a fidget spinner every time we went to the store I decided to create one myself. I got carried away and ended up 3D modeling and printing over 20 variations.
All you need to create one of these (or 20) for yourself is a skateboard bearing, some hex nuts and a 3D printer.
Let's get started.
If you like my design please give it a vote in the fidget spinner contest here: https://www.instructables.com/contest/fidgetspinner/design/Hex-Nut-Fidget-Spinners/
Step 1: Materials
The supplies you will need to make these are:
- Standard #608 skateboard bearings. I used Bones Reds.
- Hex Nuts with an OD of 11/16". I used 7/16"-20 hex nuts because I had a lot left over from another project but you can use any nut with an OD of 11/16". Find them at your local hardware store individually or online in bulk.
- A vise with non-marring jaws is optional but recommended.
- 3D printer. I used a Printrbot Simple Metal with PLA filament. If you don't have a 3D printer search for a local Maker Space or use one of the many online 3D printing services such as Shapeways.
Step 2: Download and Print
- Choose one of my Hex Nut Spinner designs and download the corresponding file at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2437056
- You will also need to download the Bearing Cap file which includes a set of 2 caps.
- 3D print the design you selected and also print the Bearing Cap file. You will need 1 set of bearing caps for each spinner you print.
Step 3: Assemble
- Gather the components, 1 bearing, 1 3D printed spinner, 3D printed set of bearing caps and the required number of nuts for your spinner.
- Using the vise's non marring jaws, press the bearing into the center of the spinner and also press the nuts into the arms of the spinner.
- Then push a set of bearing caps into either side of the bearing.
These are designed to be a tight fit so it may require a bit of persuasion to press all the components together but no additional adhesives are required.
Step 4: Spin
That's it, enjoy your spinner!