Introduction: 3D Printed Kali Necklace
Kali costume for Halloween 2012. I designed and fabricated the skull necklace and then printed it on my MakerBot Replicator. I can't seem to upload my STL's and OpenSCAD scripts to Instructables, but you can get them from Thingiverse.
The skulls that make up this necklace were created using a scan I created with 123D Catch and then made into a bead using OpenSCAD. The bead that has three faces was created with an OpenSCAD script and was then cleaned up and smoothed out with MeshMixer. I didn't have enough white ABS to finish the necklace, so I used Krylon Fusion in gloss white to paint some of the natural ABS skulls white.
I was in a hurry and ran out of time, so I just used the various divider beads I had been prototyping and strung them together with the skulls. The gold beads were printed in red translucent PLA, then spray painted gold.
This necklace took about a week to prototype and print. I printed the large skull beads on my Replicator in either white or natural ABS with 13% infil and 0.25 layer height. Each large skull bead took around 3 hours and 20 minutes
I am constantly 3D printing things, often bracelets to give away, so I had lots of bracelets lying around from the past year of printing on my MakerBot Replicator and Thing-O-matic. I thought I would recycle the bracelet test prints into this costume.
Bracelets that were used in this costume, fabricated by me, but designed by others:
- The 3D printed bracelets on my wrists are "bracelet IV" designed by MakeALot, printed in black ABS and spray painted gold.
- I used emmet's stretchy bracelets (as armbands), also spray painted gold.
I didn't have time to print the necklace and make the skirt of severed arms, so I purchased 6 arms from Kmart. They had amazing Halloween sale this year. Look for it in the future. Using several coupon codes, I was able to get the arms for ~$2.00 dollars each and free shipping. I used a tapered hand reamer to make holes in the severed arms and zip ties to attach them to a leather belt.
The rest of the costume jewelry items were salvaged from old Halloween costumes, thrift stores or purchased dirt cheap on Ebay (gold mardi gras beads).
I did splurge a little and purchase a latex severed head prop. I slit it down the middle and removed the foam material that it was stuffed with. I then used a tapered hand reamer to make holes and threaded a black cord through it to make my "head bag". I used the head bag to carry my keys, wallet and the white chocolate skull treats I was giving away.