The first photo shows the large (4.75") model, the second photo shows the small (2.75") model, and the third shows them together.
I made this at TechShop.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
Step 2: Print the Small Nomad Space Probe
- The STL file produced by Autodesk Inventor was loaded into ReplicatorG (first and second screenshots). I resized the model to fit in the 3D printer and centered it on the printing plate. The STL file with these changes is attached.
- The instructions (called GCode) were generated with the settings shown in the third screenshot. It took several minutes to slice the model and create the GCode (fourth screenshot).
- The file containing the GCode was saved as a .s3g file on a SD card that would be used by the Replicator to make the model (last screenshot).
- The Replicator then started building the model as shown in the first 19 photos.
- The model was cleaned up (excess plastic and support plastic removed) and is shown in the last photo.
Step 3: Print the Large Nomad Space Probe
The competed model is shown in first and second photos. The support structure can be seen on lower section. There is also a small amount of support material just above Nomad's head. The plastic support structure was easily removed by breaking it off by hand and using a small needle nose pliers to remove any small stubborn pieces.
The cleaned up model is shown in the last photo.