What you need:
Wilton Mini Ball pan
Wilton Mini Wonder Mold pan
2 batches buttercream icing (about 8-9 quarts)
2 cake mixes; prepared (you'll have extra if you only make 8)
Gel Icing colors of your choice (I used brown, black blue and pink)
Bit of vegetable shortening
4"x4" Cardboard squares
Foil (to cover cardboards)
Piping bag or Ziploc bag
Wilton Tip # 233
Wlton Tip # 12
Wooden Skewers (approximately 4" long)
A well rested hand!
Step 1: Baking, Assembling & Decorating
2) Bake 8 mini wonder mold cakes (bodies) and 16 mini ball cakes (2 halves make a head). Cool completely.
3) Cut the "humps"off of the bases of the mini wonder mold cakes. Save the trimmings as they become the haunches. Turn over and cut the top flat so the head doesn't bobble. I kept these bits and used them to fill out the paw areas.
4) Using a bit of buttercream, secure each mini wonder mold cake to the center of each of the foil covered cardboards. Place a bit of buttercream on the tops of the mini wonder molds to secure the heads.
5) Trim the mini balls so that they will sit flat against each other. Again save the trimmings. Sandwich 2 halves together with a bit of buttercream. These are the "heads".
6) Place the "heads" on top of the mini wonder molds and drive a skewer down through the top of the "heads" into the center of the "bodies" until you feel it hit the cardboard. There should only be about 1/4" of the skewer hanging out. Any more will need to be trimmed off. Scissors should be adequate here if they need trimmed.
7) Take the humps from the mini wonder molds and cut them in half. You should now have 2 half circles. Place one on each side of the form (rounded edge to the front) to create the haunches. Secure with a bit of buttercream. Take the mini ball trimmings and cut the edges off to make squares. Cut these into quarters. Place one quarter in front of each of the haunches and 2 in the front of the form to create front paws.
8) Using buttercream and a very soft touch, lightly ice the forms. You literally only need a thin coating of icing.
9) Using the #12 tip and colored buttercream, start about 2/3 of the way up the mini wonder mold and pipe a heavy line of icing to the bottom to create the front legs. Then using the #233 tip, colored buttercream icing and a the well rested arm, pipe on the fur. Start at the bottom and work your way up.
10) Using the #12 tip and icing, pipe an oval on each side of the head to make ears. Then pipe 2 dots on the front of the head about 2/3 of the way down to create the muzzle. Using white icing, pipe on 2 smallish ovals for the eyes. With the black icing, pipe on the nose, whisker dots and 2 dots for eyeballs.
11) Using the collar color choice, pipe a line around the neck to make the collar.
12) Take a bit of shortening and grease your hands. Take the marshmallows and knead them until they are soft. Mix them with a bit of powdered sugar to create a soft dough. Add a touch of pink gel icing color and knead thoroughly. Pinch off a small piece and form into the shape of a tongue. Stick onto the front of the muzzle.
Your puppy is now finished.