My model is based on the low poly modelling technique. The rendering and modeling done in 3Ds max. You can download a trial version of this software.
Step 1: Create a sphere
- Select and convert newly created sphere to "editable poly".
- Activate Edge select mode (hotkey: 2)
- Select edges, like you see on the screenshot, and using graphite modeling tools, Loop the selected edges.
- Extrude edges
- Select non extruded edges, loop them like you did previously and scale them slightly up.
Step 2: Prepare pumpkin for cutting, adding a tail.
- Select center top polygons and "make planar" in Z direction.
- Repeat with bottom poly's.
- Activate Vertex selection, select top and the bottom vertices mode and turn on soft selection.
- Scale down selected vertices in Z direction.
- Select center top and bottom vertices, hold ctrl and click on Polygon selection mode, grow selection and delete unnecessary poly's.
- Switch to border mode, press ctrl+a to select all available borders (where top and bottom poly's were deleted) and press "cap" in "Edit Borders" rollout.
- Select newly created top polygons and extrude them few times. On each extrusion try turn poly's and scale them down until you'll see cute little tail :)
- Turn off Poly editing mode and, while holding Shift key, scale the pumpkin down. By doing so, you will create a scaled copy. We will need this copy to cut our pumpkin inside, to make it hollow.