UPDATE! New version available with full building instructions! http://www.instructables.com/id/350-DIY-TV-B-Gone-Mico/
This is a simple TV-B-Gone made completely out of parts I had lying around. It has no circuit board, and all of the parts are just soldered together. I'll include some brief instructions because some people will want to make one themselves.
I have no external oscillator, but the internal one seems accurate enough and has worked on every TV I have tried. It may vary with extreme temperature conditions, though. I got the internal one to run Ladyada's code unmodified by turning off the fuse for the "divide by eight" clock option.
- 8 pin IC socket; not required
- Filter capacitors; not required but I used them
- Small tactile button
- Visible LED and resistor; also not required
- 4 IR LEDS with 2 resistors, you could only use one if you didn't care about range.
- 2 AA battery holder
- Soldering iron with solder
- Helping hands (recommended)
- Computer with programming software and an AVR programmer
Mine has a pretty decent range considering that I used very low power signal LEDs, about 10 meters (33 feet) or so.
If anyone makes this, please send pictures! Comments, questions, and ratings are appreciated!