Introduction: $4 LED Car Headlight Upgrade (Trail Blazer - Envoy Example)
Are you tired of changing light bulbs in cars, but your car 'only' takes incandescent bulbs. Well now you don't have worry about that, because companies are making bulbs that fit your car, you just need to know how to install them properly.
Things you'll need:
- Car head lights (9006 led model for the driving lights of a trailblazer/envoy)
- Soldering iron
- duct tape/electrical tape/heat shrink tubing
- 2200uF (or larger) capacitors that handle at least 24V (double your battery voltage). This is to eliminate the flickering that some LED bulbs
- multimeter/voltmeter (optional)
- 18 to 24 gauge wire (need four 6 inch pieces, for a total of 2 feet)
- An video example of how to replace the bulbs like this (please watch it, it helps explain a lot)
Step 1: Pull Off the Front Grill
Pull off the front grill, it's held on with snaps, see video attached video and photo
Step 2: Undo Headlight Clips
undo headlight clips, see video
Step 3: Unplug the Headlight Connectors
unplug the headlight connectors and pull the cover off the headlight area
Step 4: Check the Polarity of the Headlight
- Check the polarity of the light bulb connector (orange was positive/power for me, white was negative/ground for me)
- pull out the current bulb
- put in the new led bulb
- plug in the head light assembly
- turn on the lights
- check to see if the led bulb came on (I had to reverse the polarity of the pins in the connector)
- Note: the LED bulbs only work one way, but incandescent bulbs work either way
- swap the pins (switch the orange and white wires) if needed
Step 5: Add the Capacitors
take the capacitors and wires and connect them to the headlights, remember to cover exposed wires with duct/electrical tape or heat shrink tubing.
Note: The side of the capacitor with the white line connects to the white-wire/negative/ground-side of the connector. The other terminal of the capacitor connects to the orange wire.
Step 6: Done, Now Try It Out
Done, now put everything back and enjoy the new headlights
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.