Introduction: 40+ Uses for Vinegar
Let's face it, the smell of vinegar isn't so great but it's dirt cheap and cleans just about everything! I buy it in bulk at Costco for about $3 for 2 gallons. Such a steal! Here are some interesting yet genius uses for vinegar:
1. Label Remover - Saturate the label with white vinegar then peel it off.
2. Rid Smoke Scent - Boil 1 cup of vinegar in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes to get rid of the smell of smoke or burnt food.
3. Shower Spray - Mix 1 part vinegar with 10 parts water and a few drops of lemon or thieves essential oil in a spray bottle.
4. Sunburn - Rub vinegar on a sunburn to cool the skin.
5. Room Freshener - Use in place of air freshener or in your heater vents to neutralize odors.
6. Fabric Softener - Use in place of fabric softener in your fabric softener compartment of your washer or just pour some into the washer to give you fluffy and soft laundry. Hint: Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils for a nice scent. I love purification, citrus fresh or lavender.
7. Stain Remover - Pour white vinegar on all kinds of stains including tar, grass, coffee, soda and fruit to help remove the stain.
8. Swimmer's Ear - Dab a solution of 1 part vinegar to 5 parts warm water into each ear 3 times daily to ward off bacteria and ear pain.
9. Bee & Wasp Stings - Apply apple cider vinegar.
10. Clean Pots & Pans - Fill kitchen sink with 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water and soak them for an hour. Then wash with soap and water.
11. Clean Knives & Silverware - Dab on vinegar with a cloth.
12. Clean Dishwasher - Run it on an empty cycle with vinegar instead of detergent.
13. Greasy Hair - Shampoo hair, rinse, then pour 1/4 cup of vinegar over hair and rinse.
14. Cloth Diapers - Soak them in 1 part vinegar for 9 parts water to balance the pH, neutralize odors and prevent staining.
15. Cloudy Glass - Soak cloudy glasses in warm water and vinegar for an hour to leave them sparkling.
16. Suede Cleaner - Dab on vinegar with a tooth brush.
17. Like-New Jeans - Wash new jeans in white vinegar and waster to remove stiffness and keep colors bright.
18. Underarm Stains - Soak underarm areas of clothing in vinegar for 10 minutes before washing. Or make a paste of baking soda and vinegar and apply to area before washing.
19. Remove Gum - Apply warm vinegar with a tooth brush to fabrics with gum and brush until gum comes out.
20. Propane Lantern Life - Soak wick in vinegar for hours before use.
21. Marinade Meats - Combine balsamic or wine vinegar with spices and garlic to create a nice marinade.
22. Low Calorie Dressing - Use balsamic, champagne, fruit or wine vinegar with a little bit of oil.
23. Easy Hard-Boiled Eggs - Add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of salt to boiled water before cooking eggs. It will make it easier to peel off the shells.
24. Fully Meringue - Add 1/4 teaspoon of white vinegar to every 3 egg whites when making a meringue to make it fluffier.
25. Poaching Eggs - Add 1 teaspoon to water when poaching eggs to keep them from breaking apart.
26. Keep Cheese Fresh - Wrap a white vinegar dampened cloth around cheese in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
27. Buttermilk Substitute - Add 1 tablespoon vinegar to every 1 cup of milk to make your own buttermilk. Let it stand 5 minutes to get thick.
28. Remove Fish Scales - Rub fish with vinegar before scaling.
29. Firm Gelatin - To make gelatin firmer, ad 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to the recipe.
30. Less Starchy Meals - When preparing pasta or rice, add a few drops of vinegar to the water to reduce starchiness.
31. Preserve Sour Cream - Add 1-2 teaspoons to an opened container.
32. Prevent Mold on Produce - Rub vinegar on produce to prevent molding.
33. Weed Killer - Pour onto weeds on concrete or other areas in cracks. The weeds will die in a few days and will not return for months.
34. Ironing Clothes - Spray clothing with equal parts white vinegar and water before ironing to remove and prevent creases.
35. Deter Cats From Urinating - Pour or apply vinegar around areas where cats pee (other than their own litter box).
36. Clean Shower Head - Remove shower head and place in a bowl of vinegar overnight. It also removes calcium and lime.
37. Keep Bugs Away - Apply vinegar to keep bugs away.
38. Drain Cleaner - Pour 2 ounces of baking soda for every 5 ounces of vinegar down the drain. Let fizz for 5-10 minutes then rinse.
39. Remove Rust - Soak in vinegar overnight to remove rust.
40. Remove Paint From Glass - Apply hot vinegar to glass to remove paint.
41. Windshield Frost - Coat car windows with 3 parts vinegar for 1 part water to keep them free of ice and frost.
42. Chrome Polish - Wipe chrome with a rag and vinegar to make it shine.
43. Concrete Stains - Pour vinegar directly onto stains.
Also check out:
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.