Introduction: 5-Cheese Ziti Al Forno
There is an Italian restaurant that we all probably know, and most of us have probably been to. One of my favorite dishes from said restaurant is the five-cheese ziti al forno. The only problem is that this place can be kind of expensive. So...why not make it at home?
Step 1: Ingredients
The ingredients are split up as follows:
4 cups tomato sauce (one large can)
2 cups alfredo sauce (one 16.5 oz jar)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons fontina cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
3 tablespoons romano cheese, grated
3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped (or minced)
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped (or 1 1/2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes)
1 pound dry ziti pasta
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
NOTE: If you cannot find all the cheeses listed, feel free to use your five favorite cheeses, or leave some out if you like. Make it your own, there's room to play with this recipe.
Step 2: Preparing the Sauce
The first thing we're going to put together is the sauce. Combine all the ingredients on the sauce list in a large bowl, then cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 3: Preparing the Topping
1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the first four ingredients for the ziti topping.
2. Add the garlic, oil, and parsley, mix until blended. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Step 4: Putting It All Together
When you're ready to put it all together, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, spray a 13" x 9" dish, or a large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
1. Once your oven is preheating, prepare your pasta according to the package instructions.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of the prepared ziti sauce into prepared dish and spread evenly over bottom.
3. When pasta is finished cooking, drain water and add pasta to the remaining sauce. Mix well and add to baking dish.
4. Spread 1 cup of shredded mozzarella over pasta/sauce mixture.
5. Top the mozzarella with the prepared ziti topping, and spread evenly.
6. Place pan on center oven rack and bake until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbling. Depending on your oven, it could take between 30 to 40 minutes.
7. remove and serve immediately.
I hope you enjoy this recipe!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.