"Daaaaad, we're bored!"
Ever heard this coming from the back yard? Instructables to the rescue.
I had seen stomp rockets on the site before, and had them in the back of my mind for a while as a project for the kids. When I decided to actually make some rockets and a launcher, I realised that I had the stuff on hand to do a quick 5 minute build while the kids watched. Watch Dad make stuff, and play with rockets! Double the entertainment!
Step 1: Gather tools and materials.
1. Ordinary garden hose, 12mm.
2. I've found the 1.5 litre plastic bottle to work the best, but any size bottle of this type seems to work OK.
3. I used two types of tape because I had them, the wide tape on the rocket and the smaller stuff on the hose, but the wide stuff will do both jobs.
5. And the secret ingredient? An empty aluminium cigar tube. This is where time has been saved on this project. Using a pre-made tube for the rocket eliminates construction time.
Step 2: Launcher construction.
2. Wrap tape around one end of the hose until it becomes a tight push fit in the neck of the bottle. I used the pvc electrical tape for speed and convenience, but wider tape (of any type) will do. Taping the hose to the bottle neck would probably make the launcher a bit stronger, but having a push fit makes it very easy to change the bottle when it's had enough stomping and a new one is required.
3. Wrap tape around the other end of the hose until it becomes a smooth slip fit inside the cigar tube.