Also, keep in mind I'm no carpenter. If something was done wrong or you think my choice of materials wasn't ideal then please lemme know! If you plan on building this then pay attention to the comments because someone may mention something I've missed. >_>
Step 1: Materials
3/4" thick slab of MDF: $26.72
- The size I got was around 3'x4'. You can get it cut at Home Depot for a 50 cents a cut for every cut after the first two. No big deal if you don't have a circular saw. In the Instructable I linked to in the previous step he uses a hollow-body door. The price was a bit steep for me so I went with MDF. If you don't want excess MDF you can get some smaller slabs for a smaller table.
UPDATE: MDF was a terrible choice for the wood. After leaving drinks on the sides of the table the condensation gets absorbed by the wood and raises the surface. Now I have grotesque looking bumps and rings. Not only that but it's pretty darn heavy, too.
- I got a pair of Non-Mortise Hinges, they were small enough to just barely fit on the 3/4" MDF. (See second image)
Collapsible Table Legs: $19.97
- These took the longest to find, seems like nobody knew what I was talking about. Got 'em sure enough. They require minor assembly, pretty straight forward.
3/8" thick scrapwood
- The hinges will give you a 3/8" gap between the table and the drawing surface. To keep your surface flat when you need it you'll need anything that's 3/8". I found an old CD rack with perfect little blocks so I cut a few off for the table.
Power Drill & Drill Bits
Ruler (Or measuring tape and straight edge)
Saw horses (Not really necessary if you get all your pieces cut at Home Depot)
- I found a 2'x3' sheet of this in my basement, it's not the *ideal* size but I thought it'd work nicely on it.
- I don't know what these things are called, but you put them on furniture legs so they don't scuff the floor up. I put them on mine just to be safe. You could also put them on the 3/8" risers so the drawing surface doesn't come down with a bang.
- Take a picture of yours and show me! \o/