Introduction: 8000 Lumen LED Dewalt Flashlight Mod
This instrucable will show you how to modify a Dewalt 18v incandescent cordless light. The modification entails adding a 18V to 35V dc/dc step-up converter and a 8000 lumen LED.
Step 1: Materials
Dremel with cutting tool - To check out my homemade All purpose Dremel blade click HERE
Soldering Iron and solder
Skrew Driver - Flat head and torx
DMM - Digital Multimeter
100W - 8000 lumen LED - Ebay
18V - 35V dc/dc step-up Converter 150W
Dewalt 18V cordless Light
Step 2: Disassembly
- First take the battery out of the light to be safe
- Take the two torx screws out from the light head. The top torx screw has a pin in the middle which can be snapped off using pressure and a small flat head screwdriver if you don't have the right bit.
- Unscrew the lens
Step 3: Mounting the Dc/dc Converter and LED
- Drill a hole in the top of the Light this is used to feed wires into the light.
- Solder the LED onto the output wires coming from the converter. Make sure the polarity is correct on the LED.
Step 4: Shaping the Heatsink
This LED gets extremly hot! Be carful!
- Cut, Grind, File the heat sink to fit inside of the light housing
Step 5: Putting It All Back
- Once the heat sink is shaped to fit inside the housing, use thermal compound to adhere to the LED. This helps transfer the heat away from the LED.
- Screw the side covers together
Step 6: Fitting the Lens
- Cut the Lens using a Band saw or Grinder
- Screw the lens on to tighten the LED