Introduction: 9v Battery Disassembly
Curious to find out what's present inside a 9 Volt zinc carbon battery?
Go ahead..... Read this instructable to find out and try to do it yourself.
Step 1: Introduction
Caution:Although carbon Zinc batteries do not contain any harmful chemicals but still its important to be careful while disassembling these batteries.
The 9v battery is composed of six 1.5v carbon zinc cells connected in series. The top plastic card holds the terminals, whereas the bottom plastic card just completes the cell. The folded edge of the outer casing applies mechanical pressure to the end plastic cards to “squeeze” the cells together to make contact. The cells are made of electrolyte soaked carbon powder.
Note: The outer casing is only for mechanical rigidity and doesn’t serve any electrical function.
Step 2: Tools Required
3. Screw Driver
4. Nose Pliers
Step 3: How to Do
- Use a Nose pliers to bend the folded metal sheet on top edges.
- Locate the seam that runs down the side of the battery – this is where the metal “casing” for the battery is crimped together.
- Using a small screw driver, carefully peel out the above metal casing.
- Carefully detach the top plastic that contains the battery terminals.
- A Stack of six carbon zinc cells is seen. Separate the cells from the stack using a screw driver.
Watch Video for Detailed Description
And...You are done.
Step 4: Things We Got
1. Six 1.5 v carbon zinc cells(dead)
2. Outer Metal Case Sheet
3. Battery Terminals
4. Bottom cover
Thanks for Reading..:)