Introduction: A Floppy Disk Coffee Table
I was working in the electronics business a few years ago and noticed, during clean outs, boxes of floppy disks being thrown out. Some had been used but many were brand new. All were destined to be land fill. I grabbed loads of these disks and eventually thought about using them to make a functional coffee/TV table with storage for remote controls.
To make the table:
1. Cut a "H" shaped piece of thick reclaimed plywood and paint it matt black.
2. Glue a few floppy disks together and screw them to the plywood. Repeat this to cover the plywood with a mosaic of floppy stacks.
3. Glue more floppies to over the top of each stack. (I think I made the stacks about 10 deep.)
4. Repeat steps 1 to 3 four times but use thinner plywood to start each layer. Create a few cavities in layer three and four.
5. For the final layer, create more cavities.
6. Screw wheels on the bottom.
7. Put a piece of reclaimed tempered glass on the top. (Put clear rubber grips on a few of the top floppies to keep the glass in place.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.