Hello! In this Instructable I am going to try to share some experiences and tactics I have found while airsofting and expand on the many beginner guides available on this site . For a beginner's guide, I recommend A Simple Guide to Airsoft by user That Weasel or Airsoft: A rookie's guide based on personal experience by dizzytired. Enjoy! Oh, and thanks to AirsoftUK for the image below.
Step 1: Disclaimer (Safety)
Ok, here's the inclined disclaimer when writing about airsoft on the interwebs. NO, airsoft is NOT dangerous if you play it properly. A few rules of thumb:
1. Keep your guns under or around 400 FPS (Exceptions: Snipers)
2. Have the judgement not to shoot people point blank or within close range (Ask them to surrender or do courtesy kills.)
3. ALWAYS wear goggles or a paintball facemask. (ANSI certified)
4. Don't take off your mask until the end of the game.
5. Keep the orange tip on.
And, the big one,
6. NEVER AIRSOFT IN A PUBLIC PLACE!
One of my friends has experience on the last rule. He was airsofting in a frog pond, when a paranoid old lady called the cops on him. He was about 9, using cheap clear springers, and practically the whole police force came. Imagine what would happen if you and a half-dozen friends came over dressed in tactical gear and wielding assault rifles?