Introduction: A Pallet = a Bench
The conversion of a EUR pallet into a bench is a simple operation, will cost you less of a euro and relatively short time . Conditions to achieve an ergonomic sitting are linked to its size. This instructable will help you to build a resistant, light, ergonomic, recycled, outdoors, easy assemble, cheap and lovely furniture.
- 1 EUR Pallet
- 14 screws size 5mm X 100 mm large head
- Hand Saw
- Impact Driver
- Sander (if needed)
Step 1: The Pallet EPAL
First of all you need to find this type of pallet.
To check standard sizes of EUR-Pallets follow the link below
Step 2: First Cut
First cut : follow the red line as shown
- Along the short side
- Only the top layer
- Just on the edge of the middle blocks
Step 3: Second Cut
Second cut : follow the red line as shown
- Along the short side
- Only the bottom layer,
- Just on the edge of the middle blocks, opposite of the first cut.
Step 4: Pull Apart
With a crowbar pull apart the elements marked with a red line.
- The three blocks nailed to the top layer
- The three bottom planks that are nailed to the middle blocks
- Proceed carefully to avoid eventual cracks in the planks
Step 5: Inserting Backrest Elements
Insert the blocks between the planks as pictured
- Spread apart slightly the planks of the bigger segment
- Slide between those planks the blocks of the smaller segment
- Verify that blocks have been entirely inserted
Step 6: Fastening Backrest Element
To fasten the elements together, insert the screws as pictured
- 5 screws @ top planks
- 3 screws @ back planks
Even if the backrest planks already has a fixation points, due to the structural nails, those extra screws grants the strength for extra load on the bench.
Step 7: Fastening Elevation Elements
To fasten the elevation elements , insert 2 screws each as showed on the picture.
For a stronger connection, insert the screws from the planks side into each of the blocks
To adjust the ergonomics, slide the elevation components to the front or to the back before fasten by screws
Step 8: Finishing
The conceptual frame is clear and sufficient to play with proportions and adjustments.
I would like to suggest few more variants for the same prototype
- Remove the middle elevation element and relative bottom plank
- Sanding it is friendly to public and rain resistant
- Become more stable and 4 support points are enough
- Reuse those parts for new functionality
- Different possibility
- extra elevation
- different angel
- glass holders
- and more
thanks for you time & hope you enjoy
2 People Made This Project!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.