Chalkboard paint bought from stores allows you to use only the boring black or green of school classrooms. I didn’t want that for my walls. Instead, I made an easy chalkboard of the color I wanted. Plus, because I used a board instead of the wall itself, I can have a chalkboard anywhere with ease. It can be hung in any room of the house, dorms, classrooms, offices or where ever. It’s cheap (costing me about $25) and can add style and function to anywhere you hang it. It is also great if you live in an apartment or a dorm and cannot paint your walls.
Step 1: Materials
I used a piece of birch that measures 2x2. Birch is lightweight, light in color and fairly smooth.
• Quart of any color of paint that you want in matte finish.
• Unsanded tile grout.
• Paint roller and tray or paintbrush.
• 150 grit sandpaper.
• Sawtooth hangers (if nails aren’t included then you will need those).
Optional (But Highly Recommended) Accessories:
• Trash bag or piece of plastic for painting with no mess.
• Chalk rag.
• Command jewelry organizer. http://bit.ly/aUPIA9
• Command Sawtooth Picture Hanger (if you aren’t allowed to put holes in your walls). http://bit.ly/diUNkP