- Sidewalk chalk (some kind of marking spray chalk might work as well) -- the original outline used about 1/2 of a large stick, but I used 3 sticks total including deepening the line with wet chalk
- A large flat surface (7'x7' minimum)
- A measuring device / straightedge / right-angle reference such as a yardstick and/or a carpenter's square (strongly recommended, but freehand will work if you're careful)
- A long dowel so you can stand while drawing, and duct tape to secure the chalk to the dowel
- Kneepads and gloves for "groundwork"
- A bowl or bucket of water for "wet" drawing
I originally duct-taped my chalk to the dowel as seen here, but in the end I just got down on hands-and-knees. The project took me (an overweight old guy) about 20 minutes for the original path, and another 15 minutes to deepen the lines.