Working with concrete is fun. You can cast anything in concrete, provided you have the right tools, materials and the know-how.
Here is a step-by-step Instructable to make a small Bedside Coffee Table in concrete, with easily available materials and tools at home. You can also find some tips on working with cement and concrete here.
Step 1: What You Need
We do not need any special equipment or form work to make this small coffee table. I have used equipment and tools commonly available in any household. I have purchased an one kilogram packet of white cement and borrowed small quantity of sand from a neighbor.
I have divided casting work of this table in three parts: The Base, the middle section and the top section.
Molds (Form work):
- A small bowl from the kitchen for the base
- An empty glass bottle for the mid section
- An ornamental plate for the top section, also from the kitchen
Poach the bowl and the plate from the kitchen, as I did, without anybody noticing them as missing and return them back after three or four days. Of course, the glass bottle is expendable...
- One kilogram packet of White Cement
- About half a cubic foot of clean river sand
- Clean water
- Little quantity of oil for lubricating the form work (the molds). I have used Coconut oil. You can use any oil.
Other equipment borrowed from the kitchen:
- A medium sized pan for mixing
- A ladle for mixing the concrete
- A small bowl for water