Introduction: A South Indian Payasam for Dessert - Who's Hungry
Payasam is a fabulous South Asian dessert that goes by many names. It's enjoyed all over the sub-continent by every ethnic and religious group.
Vermicelli payasam also called Semiya Payasam/Kheer is one of the easiest recipes that can be prepared for occasions in just 20 minutes. Whether it is a festive occasion or a regular day, you can just prepare this easy Indian sweet dish to make your day special.
Step 1: INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup of vermicelli
2 Tsp ghee
1/2 cup of sugar (adjust to suit your taste)
1/8 Tsp green cardamom powder (elaichi)
Few strands of saffron (optional)
200ml water (you could substitute this with milk if you desire a thick payasam)
Cashew nuts and Raisins (as needed)
Step 2: Toasting
- Melt 1 tsp ghee or butter in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cashew pieces and toast them gently, add raisins and when they're nice and golden set them aside.
Step 3: Fry Vermicelli
- In the same pan, roast the vermicelli till it turns slightly golden on a medium flame.
- If you are using very thin semeya, after frying keep it aside on a plate.
Step 4: Boil Milk
- Pour the milk and water into a pan or pot.
- Bring the milk to a boil on a medium flame.
- If you have set aside the vermicelli add it now.
- Cook till the vermicelli is fully cooked.
- Keep stirring to prevent burning.
Step 5: Make It Sweet
- Add 1 tsp of cardamon powder.
- Add sugar as per required.
- Cook about 3 to 5 mins on a low flame.
Step 6: Serve As Dessert
- Garnish with Cashew nuts and raisins.
- Ladle it into serving dishes or bowls.
- Serve payasam warm or chilled it tastes YUMMY.
- Also, you can sprinkle the top with a bit of crumbled saffron and finely chopped pistachio and serve it up!
Step 7: Lovely to Eat
I love this dessert, it's sweet and the milk with spices give it a lovely, fragrant flavor.
If you've never had a vermicelli pudding before, TRY IT, you'll LOVE IT.
That's all Foodie's
Enjoy your ocassion with Special Vermicelli Payasam.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.