Introduction: A Well Balanced Nutritious Diet : Pressure-Cooked Rice With Lentils and Vegetables
Pressure cooked rice with different kinds of lentils and vegetables is a well balanced nutritious diet, with less fat, suitable for all ages. It is very easy to cook and tasty to eat. This recipe is without any spices and masala normally found in most Indian cooking.
Please go through the following steps for the ingredients and method of cooking.
Step 1: Ingredients
- About two cups of parboiled rice
- About one cup of mixed split lentils, that is about half the quantity of rice. Here I have taken split pigeon peas (Toor Dal), split chickpeas (Chana Dal) and split golden gram (Moong Dal), all combined to about one cup.
- Two medium sized onions
- Three Tomatoes
- One medium sized potato (It adds to the taste)
- A large piece of ginger
- Four Garlic cloves
- Salt to taste (I have used sea salt)
- Carrots about 100 grams
- Radish about 100 grams
- A Kohlrabi (Noolkol) weighing about 100 grams
- Fresh French beans about 100 grams
- Fresh green chilies about five numbers
You also need about one tablespoon of cooking oil for stir frying onions and garlic to remove the raw smell. We use rice bran oil which is healthier than other cooking oils.
Water for pressure-cooking : twice the amount of rice, that is about four cups
No spices or masala
Step 2: Preparation
- Clean and dice all vegetables like carrots, radish, Kohlrabi, potato and French beans
- Split green chilies longitudinally
- Clean and finely chop tomatoes, onions, ginger and garlic
- Mix rice and all the lentils. Wash cleanly (about three times in clean water) and drain out water
Step 3: Cooking -Step 1
- Heat a pressure cooker over medium heat. You need a five liter capacity pressure cooker for this.
- Add a table spoon of cooking oil (I have used rice bran oil)
- When the oil is hot enough, add chopped onions, ginger and garlic.
- Stir fry till the raw smell goes away
- Add the diced vegetables including green chilies
- Stir fry for about a minute
Step 4: Cooking - Step 2
- Add the cleaned mixture of rice and lentils to the stir-fried vegetables. (Drain out excess water used for cleaning)
- Add chopped tomatoes and mix well
- Add salt to taste (I have used sea salt)
- Add measured quantity of water
- Mix well all ingredients together
Step 5: Cooking - Step 3
- When the steam started coming out of the vent, place the pressure regulator
- When the full pressure is achieved, the vent will start releasing the steam
- Now reduce flame to low medium and cook for about five minutes
- After five minutes, turn off the flame and remove cooker from the stove
- Wait till the pressure in the cooker becomes normal and remove the lid
Your pressure-cooked Rice With Lentils and Vegetables is ready. Serve hot.
This is suitable for all ages in all climates... Enjoy...
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.