- Acquire skylight dome, recycled of course
- Measure the size of the frame that will fit inside
- Make frame from plywood: 30 cm high, and almost as wide and long as the dome
- Paint the frame so it will be durable. I used two coats of white primer for outdoors
- Place frame in your garden on a patch of good clean soil
- Sow your herbs.
Over time, my skylight dome acquired a border of black ductape, which looks neat and hides some cracks; I also added some luggage ties so I can cover the dome with something translucent to shield my herbs from too-bright sun.
What are the advantages of building this cold frame?
- You can sow your herbs and veggies earlier in the season, capturing the sun's heat to boost them
- There is no glass involved. It's safe for children and pets
- It keeps your seedlings safe from birds, snails, hail and Godzilla
- It's a great way to reuse an old skylight dome
- It's very easy to build