Step 1: Materials
The other required components are a:
- Hand towel
- Water pipette
- Gel super glue
- Live rock
- Corals and macro algae
Optional items if you want to make your own saltwater,
- Saltwater mix
- RO/DI water
- Small pipette
Step 2: Preparing the PJ Reef Ecosystem Saltwater (optional)
Here are the steps in making your own saltwater
1) Purchase RO/DI water.
2) Mix saltwater mix according to the saltwater mix label instructions.
3) Dissolve saltwater mix in the RO/DI water.
4) Check with refractometer that the water is at 1.025 sg.
5) Clean refractometer.
Step 3: Creating the Ecosystem
- Add the live rock to the jar.
- Remove the corals one by one from the storage container.
- Add superglue on the back of each coral or the rock they are attached to.
- Attach corals to the rock.
- Put 2 macro algae in the system.
- Make sure that everything is attached and placed correctly.
- Check that water level is at the height of jars cover.
- Adjust accordingly.
Step 4: PJ Reef Ecosystem Requirements
1) Maintain temperature between 70°-83° Fahrenheit. No drastic changes.
2) Saltwater change every 3-6 months, preferably 3 months.
3) Addition of pure water every month or so to compensate for evaporation.
4) No over addition of corals and animals.
The ecosystem will change and you will see many of the live rock inhabitants begin to reproduce and estabilize the ecosystem.