Step 1: Materials
The other required components are a:
- Hand towel
- Water pipette
- Gel super glue
- Live rock
- Corals and macro algae
Optional items if you want to make your own saltwater,
- Saltwater mix
- RO/DI water
- Small pipette
Step 2: Preparing the PJ reef ecosystem saltwater (optional)
Here are the steps in making your own saltwater
1) Purchase RO/DI water.
2) Mix saltwater mix according to the saltwater mix label instructions.
3) Dissolve saltwater mix in the RO/DI water.
4) Check with refractometer that the water is at 1.025 sg.
5) Clean refractometer.
Step 3: Creating the Ecosystem
- Add the live rock to the jar.
- Remove the corals one by one from the storage container.
- Add superglue on the back of each coral or the rock they are attached to.
- Attach corals to the rock.
- Put 2 macro algae in the system.
- Make sure that everything is attached and placed correctly.
- Check that water level is at the height of jars cover.
- Adjust accordingly.