This Instructable will help you run any fluorescent light off low voltages, It has been tested to run Compact Fluorescent Lights and Fluorescent tubes up to 15 watt.
Step 1: Parts
- 25mm x 20mm x 5mm ferrite core.
- AWG28 (~0.3mm) Magnet wire.
- AWG32 (0.2mm) Magnet wire.
- 2x 22nF unpolarised capacitor, I used ones out of a camera flash.
- 22 ohm resistor (red red black gold) OR a variable resistor.
- 470 ohm resistor (yellow violet brown gold) OR a variable resistor.
- A BD243C or similar NPN transistor.
- A fluorescent light to drive.
- A battery or power supply of your choice.
Step 2: Dismantling the ferrite-cored transformer
If your ferrite core breaks at the end, You can usually glue them back together with little performance degradation.