This makes small adjustments in the height of the camera more accurate than using a pulling motion. The instructions assume you have already assembled the base unit from here. If creating the base unit anew and wanting to upgrade to the Hand Winder, this Instructable will be used as a guide in changing the build process to suit.
Step 1: The Materials
Step 2: The Tools
- 2.5mm drill bit
- Phillips (cross) head screw driver
Step 3: Assembling the Gear Wheel
This step is in 2 parts: disassembly and assembly. If creating the base unit with the hand winder anew, dissambly will not be required.
- Remove the riser arm assembly.
- Undo the screws to the right hand side T-connectors on the front and top sides that hold the cross-braces.
- Gently pull the cross-braces out of the T-connectors, a little bit at a time rotating in the sequence of T-connectors. Remember there are wires in the top-forward tube.
- Remove the existing top collars from the front-upper tube.
- Add the new brace collars to the top-forward tube.
- Add the axle-end collars to front-upper tube.
- Smear grease (petroleum jelly) on the inside opening of all 4 collars.
- Smear grease on the ends of the wheel axle.
- Insert the assembled wheel axle into the left-hand axle-end collar.
- Slide the right-hand axle-end collar over the loose end of the wheel axle.
Step 4: Assembling the Rack
Some tasks for the gear wheel are in this sequence.
- Drill 2 off 2.5mm holes, 120mm down from the elbows on the riser arm.
- Ensure the 90 degree locking coupler is on the riser arm.
- Fasten top rack-ends to holes (drilled 2.5mm to suit) with 4Gx9mm screws.
- Fasten top of racks to rack-ends with M3x20mm screws, washers and nuts.
- Grease the sides of riser in all of the surfaces that will have contact.
- Insert the riser into the top couplers, moving the riser downwards.
- Insert the lower 90 degree locking coupler is on the riser arm.
- Insert the riser into the bottom couplers, moving the riser downwards.
- Lower the riser arm until it engages racks with the pinions.
- Fasten the cross-braces to these couplers.
- Drill 2.5mm pilot holes into each end of the axle.
- Fasten 4Gx20mm screws through holes into axle.
- Fasten bottom of racks to rack-ends with M3x20mm screws, washers and nuts.
- Fasten bottom rack-ends to holes(drilled 2.5mm to suit) with 4Gx9mm screws.
- Fasten cross-braces couplers to top-front tube with 2 off 4Gx20mm (topside) and 2 off 4Gx9mm screws (underside).
Step 5: Using the Winder
For the final assembly and usage:
- Slide the horizontal adjusters into the 90 degree couplers and tighten them.
- Turn on lights.
- Mount the camera on the camera mount.
- Turn on camera.
- Wind wheel for upwards and downwards adjustments.