Conker-X is learning the guitar. He's quite motivated because we have told him that he can have an electric guitar, but only when his guitar teacher tells us he's good enough for one.
The guitar he's learning on is fourth-hand, and was getting quite tatty. Add to that a UK DIY chain going bust, and their local branch selling off their spray paint at 80p a can, and the result is what you see above. As a bonus, I managed to get it tuned and ready to play for the morning of his birthday (the date of publishing).
We made mistakes on the way. If you want to skip the mistakes, and simply find what we did right, then skip straight to step 5.
Step 1: Materials
Aside from the guitar, we used:
Sanding materials, both hand and powered (coarse, medium and fine)
Masking tape (wide and narrow)
Various paint aerosols. The final colours we used were "Hammered Metal", "Chalkboard Black" and "Gold Glitter".
Clear spray lacquer.
Step 2: Preparation, the wrong way.
I have no idea why, but we did not completely remove the strings. We just wrapped them in paper and tape, and left the bottom end strung in. This was bad, and ruined the strings. The glue of the masking tape did something funny to the strings, and they went all gummy.
We knew the paint needed a "key" to stick properly, so we cleaned the guitar with a damp cloth, dried it, and went over it lightly with a detailing sander. This was also a mistake. Read on to find out why.