Introduction: Acrylic Paint Practice
In this activity, you will be practicing how to mix tints and shades. You will also experiment with creating different textures and mixing a variety of colors.
Step 1: Set Up Your Workspace
You will need: (Yup...this picture is upside down)
- A piece of 9" x 12" drawing paper from the drawing center (we don't need to use the heavyweight paper for this exercise)
- One Sharpie
- A brush or two. Make sure it is a acrylic paint brush, not watercolor.
- A cup of water
- A piece of paper towel
- Magazine for paint mixing
- Paint! One color + white, black
- Smock (optional - but remember, acrylic paint doesn't wash out of clothing)
- A piece of newspaper to work on top of (not pictured)
Step 2: Set Up Your Paper
- Fold paper into fourths
- Using the Sharpie, label each section with the following labels:
- Color Mixing
- Use a pencil to divide each of those spaces into at least 4 different smaller spaces
- Write your name on the back of the paper. Also include which choice class you are in - 1 or 2.
Step 3: Set Up Your Paint Palette
Place a quarter sized blob of the color you chose, a quarter sized blob of white, and a quarter sized blob of black.
Step 4: Mix Tints
When mixing tints, you will add the color you are working with to the white paint. Paint one of the small spaces with the tint you mixed. Add more color to the white and paint another space. Each space should have a different tint - some lighter, some darker.
Step 5: Mix Shades
To mix a shade, you will add a small amount of black to the color you are working with. It's a good idea to move some of the color you are working with to the side so that you don't mix black paint into all of the paint you have. Paint it in the space on the paper. Add more black, paint another space, etc. You should have a variety of shades on your paper.
Step 6: Textures
Use sponges, tooth brushes, different brush strokes, the back of your brush, etc. to create a variety of textures in the Texture space on your paper. You may use any of the colors you have mixed so far.
Step 7: Color Mixing
Add small amounts of any other colors you would like onto your palette to mix a variety of colors and add them to the Color Mixing space on your paper
Step 8: Clean Up
- Make sure your name is on the back of your paper and place it on the drying rack
- Tear the magazine page you used off the magazine and throw it away
- Put the rest of the magazine back in the drawer
- Throw away paper towel
- Clean your water cup and brushes. Make sure brushes are completely clean and they are in the utensil part of the drying rack with the hairs sticking up.
- Wipe down any paint that may have ended up on the table.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.