Introduction: Actobotics Custom Laptop Cooler Stand
Having some Actobotics parts i manage to build a stand for my laptop. I also used 2 old pc fans so i can cool as much as i can my laptop. I have bought a laptop stand last year but i noticed that the fan isn't doing a thing so when the parts came to my hands i thought it was a good idea for something better.
Lets start with the parts list
Step 1: Parts List
The parts that we need are:
- 1 x Actobotics 15" aluminum channel
- 1 x Actobotics 9" aluminum channel
- 1 x Actobotics 6" aluminum channel
- 2 x old pc fans
- 1 x star screwdriver & 1 x hex key
- 2 x abs parts from Actobotics DDT560 DIrect drive tilt system
- 4 x Actobotics Quad hub mount C
- 2 x Actobotics Quad hub mount D
- 14 x Actobotics 6-32 Socket head machine screws
- 17 x Actobotics flat head and pan head screws different sizes
- 2 x Actobotics Dual side mount A
- 3 x Actobotics Dual side mount E
- 4 x Actobotics 6-32 aluminum standoffs
- A breadboard
- A couple of male-to-male jumper wires
- A 12V 2A charger
- 4 x shock absorbers
First of all i used a 9" and a 6" channel because i had to find the same length to the big 15" that i had. So if you have two 15" is the same thing. Or if you willing to buy and build the stand buy directly 2 x 15" channels.
Second you will ask what are these 4 green shock absorbers and where can i buy them. Actually are from the inside of old dvd-cd drives. Usually good quality dvd-drives have them inside. I kept them when i took apart a couple of old drives.
Step 2: Build the Main Body
So we must now start building our stand.
Take the 9" and 6" channeland connect them with a quad hub mount D and 2 socket head machine screws. One screw in each channel. The hub mount should be inside the channels.Then from the outside of the channels connect the second hub mount D with 2 flat head screws.
Thats it. Now we have two15" channels which they are the main body of our stand.
Now lets place the parts where the abs brackets will placed.
Take the 4 quad hub mount C and 8 socket head machine screws. Place 1 mount with 2 screws at the end of each channel. We add only 2 screws in each hub mount because at the other side we will place our laptop So we need the surface to be clear.
Step 3: Build the Feet.
Lets build the feet of our stand.
Take 1 standoff, 1 flat head screw and 1 sock absorber and connect them, it is very easy. We will need 2 short standoffs for the front and 2 long for the back of our stand in order to achieve an angle. Repeat for the 3 standoffs and when done attach them to the end of each channel with a pan head screw.
Ok we done lets connect the 2 channels now.
Step 4: Connect the Abs Brackets
Lets connect the 2 channels.
Take the abs parts and 4 socket machine screws. Connect each abs to the channel with 2 screws, one in each end of the channel. The abs bracket has 5 holes and i used the third.
We have finished now with the main body and now lets connect the fans.
Step 5: Add the Fans to the Main Body
We will now attach the fans.
Take the 2 dual mount A and 2 flat head screws. Screw the mount to the fan and then with another flat head screw, attatch the fan to the 15" channel. Mesure the distance from the end of each channel in order to place the 2 fans.
Next we will need the 3 dual mount E and 3 flat head screws in order to manage the cables of the fans. We need them to be in order. Place them according to the length of the cables.
Step 6: Expand Your Cables - Breadboard Connection
In each fan we have 3 cables.
- A black. That goes to GND
- A red. That goes to to 12V
A yellow or blue. That doesn't go anywhere, leave it as it is
With the male-to-male jumper wires give length to your cables and drive every red cable to the same channel of the breadboard and also every black cable to the same channel of the breadboard.
Next connect the two wires of the 12V charger to red & black team of the breadboard.
Step 7: Pros & Cons
That's it. We just build a nice heavy duty custom laptop stand.
- Heavy duty build that can hold a lot of weight and it is impossible to break like the plastic ones that you can buy.
- It gives very good air flow
- The fans are also cooling the aluminum channels which give extra cooling to the whole stand
- Fully customizable. That means that if you dont have the abs brackets from the tilt system you can 3d print 2 of your choice.
- The fans are making a lot of noise. If it is possible find fans as quit as you can .
- It works with 12V which means that if you want to add an arduino you cant. Because the fans will ether won't work or will work with small speed.
- It can hold up to 15" laptop. If you have a 17" use bigger channels.
- It is not as portable as those that you can buy.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.