Step 2: When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light...
I used the Dynamic sketch for the Ampli-tie.
Mod the code if you want to change the animation of the lights.
The only major change is that I will not be connecting my components with conductive thread. Instead, I am using real wire from ribbon cable.
The connected row of 16 individual NeoPixel boards will be replaced with a set of two NeoPixel rings controlled by the same pin. Note that they need 5 volt power so they are connected to vBatt. The 3.3 v is not enough to power the NeoPixels and they will act wonky, I tried.
Note that I have modded my Flora to have leads from the pin outs and terminated with female headers. The power supply pins and GND have a ganged female header to accomodate the multiple common connections.
The microphone amplifier breakout board came with a set of 6 male header pins. I soldered 3 into the board (+3, GND, data). The other 3 unused pins I wasn't sure of what to do with. Spare or were they to make your own cable? I just soldered them perpendicular to the ones on board and made a right angle connector. Clip off the excess leads. You can then terminate a cable with a female header connector for use. It makes for a flatter connector. Connect this to the 3.3v pin of the Flora.
Test your circuit.
I haven't looked at the code closely yet but you can create multiple instances of the Adafruit_neopixel strip commands to run off of different pins. I wasn't sure of how to do that yet but you can just put the data pin inputs together so that the driving signal goes to both Neopixel rings in parallel. The original code was to graphically convert for 16 pixels and not a chained strip of 32 for both rings if you put the data out pin to the data in pin of the other.