I decided the neatest solution was to replace one of the blank buttons that were in the console and fabricate a new one with a USB connector embedded. I used some polymorph to make a mold of the existing button and create the button with sugru molded around the connector.
Step 1: Material/Tools Required
1 Male - Female USB cable
1 USB car charger
1 Spline (star) drill bit Bit (to remove ash tray from Car)
Dremel type cutter
Step 2: Step1 - Removal of the Ash Tray Compartment
This step is specific to the VW GOLF/Jetta your car may vary
1. Remove the plastic cover from around the gear stick
2. Unscrew the two screws with the spline screwdriver bit
3. The whole astray compartment should be loose now
4. Disconnect the ASR & Cigarette leads
5 Remove the whole unit
Step 3: Make the Mold for the Port
2. I coated the area with the petroleum jelly. This prevents the polymorph from sticking to the ashtray unit.
3. I heated some polymorph in some hot water and got it ready for moulding
4 . Place the polymorph over the area you want to replicate and make sure you will be able to remove it when it cools
5. Wait for the polymorph to cool sufficiently be fore removing it
6. After its cool enough it will be fairly rigid you can go ahead and remove it
7. As you can see I have moulded some of the other blanks - this will help later on when we are lining up the finished port
Step 4: Make the New Button
2. line up as best you can the female end of the cable in the mould
3. open the packet of sugru and put it around the female end of the cable in the mould. The sugru is fairly soft and easy to work with.
4. When you are satisfied that the cable is covered enough and the sugru is taking the form of the mould leave for 24hrs
5. Flash forward 24hours. Remove the cable below and you should have something like the picture below
Step 5: Inserting the New Usb Port
1. Flip the ashtray module over at pop out one of the blank buttons
2. Thread the other end (male) of the cable though the gap that the missing blank button left.
3. Line it up by eye or using the mould and either glue it or as I did just use some polymorph
Step 6: Connecting the Port
2. I then reassembled the charging unit
3. I connected the male end of the cable into the the charger
4. I soldered the charger (where i removed the spring and sliver clip) cigarette lighters +ive and -ive parts.
5. I then put the ashtray module back into the car