Introduction: Adjustable Paracord Water Bottle Handle
We make our scouts a different craft item each year for the boys who go to Summer Camp (or Jamborees). This was the item for 2017, done in our troop colors.
These are the instructions, modified from the Instructable done by welchjr. Follow these instructions until you get to the link, follow until you get to the point of finishing off, then switch back to these..
- 550 paracord
- 48" black (core)
- 48" black
- 48" red
- i.e http://www.joann.com/dritz-double-cord-stops-for-1...
- knife or scissors
- tape measure
- paracord fid or bulky yarn needle or locking forceps
- clipboard (optional)
- useful for working against if you don't have a table to work on
Step 1: Step 1: Prepare Cords
- Cut cords to proper lengths
- fuse ends of cords with lighter, makes them easier to work with.
Step 2: Step 2: Intial Setup
Fold core in half, lay on flat surface
Bend red cord at mid point, lay midpoint over 2 core strands about 4" from bend in core
Step 3: Step 3: Tie Over-hand Knot
- Tie over-hand knot around core with red strand so knot is behind, taught, but not tight (core needs to slide through knot)
- Make sure both ends of red strand are equal
Step 4: Step 4: Repeat for Black Strand
Repeat steps 2+3 with black strand
make sure knots are against each other
Step 5: Step 5: Setup Cords for Braid
- Set core cords straight down, red cords out to sides and slightly up, black cords out to sides and slightly down. So they look like the image for step 5 on this page: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Tie-a-4-S...
Step 6: Step 6: Follow Steps of Other Instructable
- Start following from step 6 - 10, until the black and red strands only have 3-4" left.
- NOTE: don't tighten up wraps too much, will make it hard to adjust.
- NOTE 2: I tighten the previous color pair, not the latest as I go. (black cords in picture)
Step 7: Step 7: Finish Off Weave
- Turn it over, fold a strand back on the weave and pick a loop in the weave to slide the end of the strand under. Use paracord fod or forceps to pull the strand through.
- Note, I sometimes tie an overhand knot with the last color to hold the last weave in place.
- Once all strands are pulled through, trim and fuse to the weave.
Step 8: Step 8: Attach Cord Stopper
- Take the ends of the core and push them through a cord stopper
- Tie overhand not on each end of the core so it can't be pulled through the cinch button.
Step 9: Step 9: Attach to Bottle
- make core loop on end without cinch button big enough to go over bottle neck
- slide handle to tighten loop around bottle neck
- loop core with cinch button around bottom of bottle tighten, and you have your handle.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.