Introduction: Adjustable Shoestring Yoga Mat Sling
I needed a cheap, adjustable sling for a new yoga mat and this is what I came up with. I used a pair of round shoelaces, but you could just as easily use paracord or some other rope.
Step 1: Materials
All you need is a pair of shoelaces!
The pair I used happened to by 72" long, but I had lots of extra string left over. Fifty inch laces should be plenty long. Alternatively, measure and cut two pieces of rope - one 30" and one 50" (one of the laces will have to be trimmed anyway). Stay away from polypropylene ropes or anything else that is too slick as this sling relies on friction for readjustments.
Step 2: Tie Some Knots
1. Take one of your shoelaces and wrap the end of it around the yoga mat. The tie a slip knot--this allows the knot to slide and tighten the lace around the mat. You want the knot to be just tight enough so that it doesn't slip on its own. In the photo below, I have tied some variant of a slip knot. You can follow that or learn to tie a proper slip not here.
2. Repeat the process using the other lace.
Step 3: Tie Some More Knots
1. Tie a loop in one of the laces (or the shorter piece of rope) about two inches from the slip knot. I am not sure what type of knot I tied, but a bowline knot would work perfectly. Have a look at instructions here. The excess string is not needed, so you can cut it off if you want.
2. Take the free end of the other lace and string it through the loop that you just made. Fold the free end back down onto itself and tie another slip knot. This slip knot will allow you to adjust the length of the sling.
Step 4: Tie Up the Free Ends
If you have any excess ends like I did, you can just tie another slip knot to use the excess. Alternatively, you can just cut off the end.
Step 5: Use It!
To use, follow the instructions listed in the photo tags. The steps are listed below:
1. Loosen up the sling to make it easier to put on.
2. Put on the sling such that the part with the bowline knot it at the top.
3. Pull the string attached to the slip knot to tighten up the sling and pull the yoga mat closer.
4. Pull the slip knot down to lock the sling in place.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.