Introduction: Air-Lift Irrigation Using Solar Panel
The principle of the air-lift irrigation
The solar panel supply the power to the air pump. Then, the pump injects compressed air at the intersection. The compressed air mixes with the water causing the air-water mixture to be less dense than the rest of the water around it and therefore is displaced upwards through the discharge pipe by the surrounding liquid of higher density.
This is an instructable of using a solar panel to air-lift water for the vertical garden.
The reason I did this was to lessen the electrical bill.
Step 1: Items
Most of the items you can buy from an aquarium shop.
- 2.40v solar panel (you can get it at Amazon.com)
- 2 meter electric cable
- Battery powered air pump
- Aquarium air tube
- Air valve
- 3-way air connector
Step 2: The Connections
- Firstly, I connect the air tube with the 3-way connector.
- One the air tube, I connect it with the air valve (make sure to connect correctly)
- The same tube, I connect it with the air pump.
- The next tube, I connect it with the water reservoir.
Step 3: The Air-Lift
- When the sunlight is sufficient, I switch on the air pump.
- The water from the reservoir flow to the 3-way connector. Because there is a air valve installed, the water is prohibit to flow into the air pump.
- The generated air then push the water up (air-lift) to the top planter.
Step 4: The Working
- The water flow nicely at the top planter.
- Soon, the water will flow back into the reservoir.
- The cycle continue.
Step 5: The Setup
This is how I arrange air-lift irrigation for the vertical garden using solar panel.
Please, don't forget to vote for me.
Runner Up in the
Renewable Energy Contest
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.