Instructables

Airhogs RC Helicopter wall adapter

Picture of Airhogs RC Helicopter wall adapter
So, I got tired of wasting all those batteries and decided to wire in a wall adapter to my remote controller for my airhogs helicopter. This allows me to run the controller off of an outlet and when it needs to charge I can still charge my helicopter through the controller without batteries! 

Things you will need:
a 120VAC to 9VDC adapter, mine was also rated for 800mA  - around $20 @ Radio Shack
Solder and Soldering Iron
Some 22 gauge wire
I used a "M" connector between my adapter and controller but you can use whatever you want or hard wire it, doesn't matter.
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1:

Picture of
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
The first thing you want to do is flip the controller over and remove the batteries. Once they are removed, take the six screws out of the back and pull the case apart. You should see something similar to the picture. Take notice of the red and black wires coming from the battery compartment. 

Step 2:

Picture of
IMG_0181.JPG
I soldered one wire to the red wire at the battery compartment because there was enough room and the other on the PCB card where the black wire from the battery compartment attached. Once you have that done you just have to connect the other end to your adapter. This is where I used my "M" connector. It is important to match the polarities coming from the adapter to the proper wire connecting to your battery compartment. The controller's PCB were clearly marked which wire was the "+" and which one was the "-". If you get it backwards you will most likely damage the controller.  After you've decided on how to connect the adapter just close up the controller and plug it in. You should be good to go!

WARNING: DO NOT HAVE BATTERIES INSTALLED IN THE CONTROLLER AND PLUG IT IN TO THE WALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Eventually I would like to figure out how I could have the batteries installed and just plug it in to charge the helicopter. Perhaps a small power select switch would do the trick?