Introduction: Alcohol Burner
Don't have a bunson burner? Don't feel like paying too much for fuel? Parents don't trust you with a bunson burner? Have some alcohol to burn? Than build yourself an alcohol burner for about a dollar or even free!
WARNING!!! I am not responsable for any damage caused by this, even though it is pretty safe.
Step 1: Materials/Equipment
Most households will have all of the materials and equipment required to create this alcohol burner.
- A jar with lid, preferable a glass jar with a metal lid
- Alcohol, I used rubbing alcohol
- Paper Towels
- A drill bit, I used a 3/16 inch drill bit
- A drill or drill press
Step 2: Prepare the Jar
First drill a hole into the lid of the jar, preferable near the center, but it really doesn't matter.
Step 3: Create a Wick
Fill up the Jar with the alcohol about 7/8's the way up, just leave room for your wick.
To create the wick you have to cut a strip about 1 inch wide of a paper towel the long way.
Then dip the strip into the jar with the rubbing alcohol.
Next fold the paper towel in half (so that it's half as short, not thinner)
Twist the paper towel.
Step 4: Force the Wick Through the Jarlid
The title of this step pretty much explains it, have about a quarter of an inch sticking through the lid.
Step 5: Screw on the Lid
Screw on the lid
Step 6: Flame On!
Light it up!
Step 7: Saftey and Trouble Shooting
Heres just some facts about this alcohol burner
- Snip off burnt parts of the wick
- Glass breaks when it gets to hot, the glass won't break in this burner because the alcohol cools it.
- Whenever your outside with this it's extremely hard to see the flame, but it's still there.
- right after you blow out the flame the wick is warm to the touch, usually it's not hot enough to burn you.
The wick just burns up - You either didn't soak it in the alcohol or the alcohol evaporated.
Glass Shattered - You dropped it, shot it with a gun, put it in an oven, etc.
Enjoy your new alcohol burner!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.