Allergies Remedy

19,189

277

49

Posted

Introduction: Allergies Remedy

It's that time of the year again when itchy nose and watery eyes make life for allergy sufferers nearly impossible. Whether you experience mild symptoms or deteriorate completely, seasonal allergies, also referred to as hay fever, can make life uncomfortable. Pollen, the harmless culprit, causes your body to create histamines to wage war on what it thinks is spores or dust mites. The released histamines causes your soft tissues to swell in the hopes of resisting and expelling any foreign bodies it deems hazardous. What's worse is that allergies can develop through your life, and what was once a happy spring day outdoors turns into a sneezing and crying fiasco.

Over-the-counter remedies, known as antihistamines, block your body's fighting ability, allowing the harmless pollen to be processed by your body without any adverse effects. Unfortunately, most antihistamines cause drowsiness along with dry sinuses, and usually need to be taken on a daily basis to block your body's responses towards pollen.

But what if you could prevent an allergy attack? Completely. And naturally.

In this instructable, I'll show you what some people swear is the best allergy remedy: Honey & Pollen!

Let's get started!

Step 1: Benefits of Honey & Pollen

That amazing golden syrup that bees conjure up is internationally and historically used to cure a plethora of ailments and diseases. And allergies to boot.

Using local honey, that has been made from pollen in your general area has the best remedial use to prevent an allergy flare-up. This is because the pollen that is causing a ruckus in your sinuses is the same pollen that the bees have processed to create their honey.

The idea behind eating honey to cure allergies is like gradually vaccinating the body against allergens, a process called immunotherapy.

Honey contains a variety of the same pollen spores that give allergy sufferers so much trouble when flowers and grasses are in bloom. Introducing these spores into the body in small amounts by eating honey should make the body accustomed to their presence and decrease the chance an immune system response like the release of histamine will occur. Since the concentration of pollen spores found in honey is low -- compared to, say, sniffing a flower directly -- then the production of antibodies shouldn't trigger symptoms similar to an allergic reaction. Ideally, the honey-eater won't have any reaction at all.

[source: AAFP].

In addition to eating local honey, one can also eat local pollen. That's right! While bees are busy drinking the nectar of flowers, their bodies rub against the pollen of the plant, and unbeeknownst (tehehe) to them, they take this pollen back to their hive and eat it later. However, bees usually take much more pollen with them than they could possibly use, and so bee keepers will take the extra pollen and sell it for its remedial benefits. Taking in small amounts of the pollen daily during allergy season can help build up immunotherapy just like local honey!

Step 2: Action Plan

So rather than taking an over-the-counter antihistamine, which only combats allergy symptoms, we're going to prevent the entirety of allergies by dealing with at the source: the pollen.

Take a 1/4 teaspoon of local raw (unpasturized*) honey as early in the morning as possible, along with a teaspoon of local pollen, which could be found at a local bee keeper's. Don't fret if you do not see results immediately, as your body may need time to develop it's immunity to the pollen.

The National Institutes of Health report you should never consume raw honey in order to prevent food poisoning, particularly if you are already immunocompromised. It’s especially dangerous to give raw honey to infants under the age of one. According to MayoClinic.com, giving raw honey to infants may cause infant botulism,

Share

  • I notice a lot of pe...-Ulsha

    Ulsha made it!

Recommendations

  • Paper Contest 2018

    Paper Contest 2018
  • Epilog Challenge 9

    Epilog Challenge 9
  • Gluten Free Challenge

    Gluten Free Challenge
user

We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.

Tips

Questions

47 Comments

I have to say I am shocked that someone would post something like this… Using bee pollen as some sort of do it yourself immunotherapy for known allergies is extremely dangerous. Bee pollen poses a relatively high risk of anaphylactic reactions in individuals who already have a pre-existing allergic condition. No one should ever consume bee pollen with a history of allergies without first consulting with an allergist.

Those that have anaphylactic reactions to pollen probably already know it, and they probably live in a plastic bubble breathing filtered air.

How did the human race survive before the god-like modern medicine pill pushers showed up?

This is simply a remedy for seasonal allergies ie. sneezing and itchy/watery eyes. If you have a severe life threatening allergy to anything I hope you're smart enough not to induce anaphylactic shock on yourself.

Poorly. You're welcome.

I made no mention of "pushing pills", but to answer your question: we reproduced before age fifteen, and typically died before age 30. Our current longevity is the direct result of those same pushers who also managed to provide a few other concepts - hygiene, decreased perinatal mortality, immunizations against nasties like smallpox, and penicillin.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy
Know anyone who has ever been diagnosed with pneumonia? Guess what - in the pre-antibiotic era that carried a 1 in 3 mortality. Don't even get me started on TB or dysentery and how many people in the third world still die from a myriad of such diseases because they are deprived of the "pill pushers" you loathe. So maybe the next time you feel sick, or your family member has belly pain or chest pain, reconsider your loathing of the pill pushers.

One should consult with their physician if they fear having an anaphylactic reaction while trying any new medicine. Because honey is made up of nectar and pollen, a patient with a severe reaction to pollen would usually be allergic to honey as well.

This is simply an alternative remedy to those individuals who have tried all the other allergy preventive/ remedial options.

My point is that it's potentially harmful, and considering that all evidence has shown it to be useless, it seems reckless to post it as a remedy.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-78-BEE%20POLLEN.aspx?activeIngredientId=78&activeIngredientName=BEE%20POLLEN

One other fact about honey: it is the only food that never spoils. I read once in a science magazine about 3000 year-old honey that was found, and it was still edible! It is similar to mother's milk, in that it contains antibodies that prevent organisms from growing in it. Although it is technically sugar, it isn't processed by the body in the same way fructose and other sugars are. Also, regarding urushiol: it never loses its potency. If you touch something that has urushiol on it, and the skin where you touched it was damp, you could reactivate it. Dead poison ivy can be as harmful as fresh poison ivy. A friend burnt some poison ivy once and breathed the smoke. He ended up in the hospital for several days.

But it can contain clostridium botulinum spores, which is why it is dangerous to an infants developing digestive tract. It has no antibodies, only a lack of water to support life, just like Karo (corn syrup).

The roots of poison ivy have much higher concentrations and if you are among the 30% that are immune, you won't be after touching the roots. Asians once used urushiol in lacquers and just touching it can still cause a reaction.