After being inspired by the other mp3 cases on here I decided to make my own version for smaller mp3 players. My design can be easily adapted to fit other mp3 players with a modification of just one step (see within). My case has been made to fit a 4GB Creative Zen, and works perfectly.
All of the photos are of the finished article (sorry detail fans).
Materials and Tools:
Metal Altoids Mint Box
6 wooden ice lolly sticks
A pair of old socks/other material.
Step 1: Create the lining
I would suggest lining the bottom half of the case first.
1) I did this by cutting the rough shape of the case out of the socks (leaving plenty of excess to be folded over).
2) I then placed the fabric into the case and folded the material on to itself to create nice 'soft' edges. Once you are happy with the shape, tape down the material onto inself so it retains it's shape.
3) You should now have a fabric pad that is the shape of the tin. Flip this over so the nasty taped side is face down. Use superglue to glue to fabric into place.
I then did the top half of the case -
1) At this stage it is crucial to make sure that you can still place the mp3 player in the box and it will still shut. This is why my lining layer in the top half of the box is not folded back on itself and is only one layer thick.
2) Make sure you dont put the fabric so it reaches the edge of the lid - the case will not close properly - this is especially important at the edge where the hinges are.