Introduction: Aluminum Bottle Alcohol Stove
I've made several types of the now ubiquitous alcohol stoves, but I must say this one was the easiest to construct. I think mainly because the material is not as thin or prone to crushing during the construction like the "can" stoves. I used a Pepsi bottle left over from the last Super Bowl however any aluminum bottle will work. Here's my process.
You'll need an aluminum bottle, tape measure ( a fabric one is easiest), hack saw, ball-peen hammer, Sharpe, medium to fine grit sand paper, tooling files or similarl small files, and liquid wrench,
I had this 'ible' up once before but it was noted that a step by step process would be more appropriate.
Step 1: Hitting the Bottle
1. Get the bottle prepared with washing and rinsing.
2. Measure down from the opening approximately 2cm. Make marks all the way around at this distance.
Start slowly by scoring along the line with a standard hack saw. Using a new blade will make smoother cuts. Don't try to cut straight through, rather cut around the entire line slowly but surely, using the scoring method. It takes a while but the edges come out clean.
Step 2: Pass the Bowl
3. Measure from the newly cut opening approximately 5.5 to 6 cm. Mark a line all the around the bottle. Using the previous method cut slowly around the bottle by repeatedly scoring around the line.
4. Once cut, the piece you have made from the neck is the inner piece or bowl. With sand paper (med grit or finer) sand the edges smooth making them even / level all around.
5. Using a set of tooling files I cut three have circle holes in the bowl where it will meet the floor of the stove. This will be where the fuel moves through to the outer burner. I would say these are cut approximately 2mm deep or the full thickness of the file.
Step 3: Outer Stove
6. I wanted my stove to be approximately 7cm tall and have enough of a lip to roll over the outer top edge. I didn't want to use rivets. I noticed that the bottle has an inner convex floor of about 1cm. I compensated for the raised floor, made the marks around the bottle as before and slowly started cutting.
7. I needed to sand a little more on what would be the outer piece as my cut was not as straight as needed. Once sanded I drilled holes all around using a 1/32 drill bit, spacing the holes approximately 1cm apart and approximate 5.5cm from the bottom.
8. Using either the files or the sand paper sand down the holes where they flared out from the drilling. Check the holes after sanding to ensure they are clear. If not use one of the files to clear out the holes being careful not to enlarge them.
Step 4: Assembly
1. Sand the outer part of the bowl to remove the paint from approximately 3cm beginning at the large opening side. This will assist with pressing the two pieces together.
2. Recheck all the edges and sand as needed.
3. Put a few dabs of liquid wrench around the inner edges of the stove portion and the outer (sanded area) of the bowl. And then slowly begin pressing the two pieces together. This is the most difficult part that hopefully the liquid wrench will make easier. Once you get it started it goes pretty easy however be careful to press evenly or the bowl will tilt.
I messed up the first time trying to press the pieces together without the liquid wrench. The bowl went in crooked. I needed to use liquid wrench and some coaxing to separate the pieces. I little more liquid wrench to assemble the pieces and they went together with some effort but were more easily controlled.
4. With a ball peen hammer start lightly tapping the top edge, slowly rotating the stove around until the majority of the lip is bent in. At a point you will see that it is appropriate to switch to the ball side of the hammer.
5. Turn the stove on it's side and with the ball side of the hammer begin lightly finishing the inner edge until it is smooth and flush against the inside. You are finished.
6. washed it thoroughly to remove any of the liquid wrench residue. Dry it well, then tested it.
Step 5: Testing
1. Added Alcohol and lit it.
2. It took approximately 45 sec for the alcohol to boil and the vapor holes to ignite. It works pretty good.
Going to test it out in the field in a couple of week.