This set of speakers is rugged, compact, easy to take on the go, and LOUD! The whole project will cost about $50.00 usd. and can be completed in an afternoon.
Step 1: Materials
Heres what you need:
1. One .50 caliber ammo box- http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com/servlet/Detail?no=5984
2. Two 4" speakers- http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PL42BL-4-Inch-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B000230LBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291250695&sr=8-2
3. 2 sets of speaker wires- these will come with your speakers typically
4. 12 volt amplifier-http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34406
5. 3.5mm panel mount plug- http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062450
6. 12 volt illuminated toggle switch- http:// http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=206249312
7. Computer power supply- a broken one is ok for this, as you will just be using the plug and cord.
8. Egg carton foam- I had this piece of foam from some type of packaging.
9. 1 3/4" desk grommet- these can be found in the hardware store or office supply store.
10. 12 volt power supply- this is the kind of power supply that a laptop would use.
11. Two 4" computer fan grates.
12. 3.5mm male audio to rca audio
13. 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male audio cable
14. cheap little tripod from the dollar store
15. various hardware.