This Ammo Can Boombox is a loud, powerful and durable portable speaker. With an easy to build design this is a perfect project to build if you are looking for a portable speaker for indoors and outdoors. Perfect for the beach or wherever you wish to play music.
This Ammo can is long lasting as requires little power to work. It is equip with two 4 inch car speakers that can be found anywhere. Powered by a 12 volt battery this speaker should stay playing strong for 6 to 12 hours on a full charge.
Step 1: Materials
To complete this project all you need is
- .50 caliber Ammo can found at a local surplus store for around 20 dollars.
- 2 4 inch car speakers found online or any local supermarket for a price range or 10 dollars to 120 dollars.
- 1 12 volt mini amplifier found online and costs about 20 dollars on Amazon
- 1 12 volt battery found anywhere I just happen to have one laying around.
- 12 volt connectors
- Aux Cable for amp
- 4 inch whole saw
- Drill with metal drill bits
Step 2: Drill the Holes
- Draw lines on the box to center the holes for the speakers
- Attach your 4 inch hole saw and drill out the holes for the speakers.
Step 3: Installing Speakers
-Once your holes are drilled you can inset and drill in the speakers with self tapping screws.
Step 4: Amp and Speaker Set Up
Once the speakers are in you are ready to wire your amp.
- split the wire from the amp power cord (white wire), cut and strip wire.
- Figure out positive and negative by giving power to the amp and seeing which wire works on the terminals.
- Crimp the wires to the 12 volt connectors and connect the right wires to the battery.
- Plug into amp and check for power. If everything works out great then its time to set up the speaker wires.
- connect the speaker wires to the speakers then cut the wires to fit in the box to not have too much excess wire.
- Connect the positives and negatives to the amp plug in your Aux cable and power your amp to make sure it works.
Step 5: Putting the Box Together
-Velcro the amplifier to the inside of the box where it is easy to access and the wires are off the bottom of the box.
- Velcro the battery to the opposite corner of the box.
- Drill out a hole for the Aux cable to come out through the side close the lid and listen to your music.