I thought I'd tell you a little bit about myself as this is my first instructible.
Name :- William Roberts
Age :- 18
Bio:- I am a student currently studying Design and technology: graphics products, physics, maths and geology. I absolutely love DIY ideas and i am very appreciative of design influences. I love the great outdoors and i regularly participate in sports. I also love the occasional extreme sport (mountain boarding most notably). Live in the UK, you could probably guess that since i quote everything in £.
well now that introduction is out of the way i'll get on to the 'ible!
Step 1: Parts and Tools
1) Ammo box - £12.73 (Ebay, price has gone up) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-Cal-Ammo-Box-Genuine-Army-NATO-Surplus-Tool-Box-Military-Metal-Storage-EMPTY-/251185389448?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3a7bd0df88
2) Speakers - £28.99 (incarconnections) http://www.incarconnections.co.uk/4-inch-10cm-car-speakers/blaupunkt-gtx-402-sc-4-inch-10cm-100mm-in-car-speakers-2-way-coaxial-140w.html
3) Battery pack - £2 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-8X-AA-battery-holder-battery-case-DC-12V-battery-box-with-wire-lead-/390442532128?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
4) Mini 12v amp- cost me £2.50 in an auction from this seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230636408043?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
5) Panel mount 3.5mm jack- £2.48 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200822445403?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
6) Rubber feet - £1.78 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Square-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Feet-10mm-x-2-5mm-high-/190739998572?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item2c68fd676c
7) 3.5mm to 3.5mm jack - £1.98 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-1-8-jack-Male-audio-aux-to-male-M-M-Retractable-Extension-Cable-for-mp3-/170933865858?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item27cc73cd82
8) Batteries! (wouldn't get far without these!) bought at Cost-Co pack of 48 for about £5
9) on/off switch - £3.84 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130431853243?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
10) Panel mount Female DC connector - £1.38 (ebay) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300826668342?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
11) DC connectors (ebay) £1.48 x2 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310403522222?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Total= £65.64 (with loads of extra batteries!)
Additional items (improvements)
12v deep cycle battery 9Ah - (ebay) £17
12v battery charger (just a cheap one) - £7.90 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221162894590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649S
Some decent wire £1 (1m).
spade connectors £1 for 10 (local store)
TOTAL COST OF MATERIALS = £92.54
(i could have reduced cost by using cheaper speakers or getting the right battery to start with)
1) Cordless drill with appropriate drill bits (2,3,10mm metal drill bits)
3) Round metal file
4) Scissors (wire strippers would be better!)
5) Electrical tape
6) Towel (not nessesary, just used to protect table)
7) Quick-grip bar clamp
8) Small flat head and Phillips screw drivers
9) Bit of wood (see later)
10) Hand saw
11) EAR AND EYE PROTECTION. This is vital! I started cutting without these and i got hit around my eye multiple times from metal fragments. And the noise is deafening. You've been warned.
12) Compass (for marking out)
13) Pencil/marker pen (or even a nail, works just the same)
14) Dustpan and brush!
15) rotary tool (Dremel) with grinding tool to remove some burrs
Things I should of used
1) Wire strippers
2) Soldering iron and solder
3) Spot light (or just better lighting in general)
4) 20mm metal hole borer (would have been a lot easier and neater)