Still, I wish it had more room in the new shed. The kind of shed I purchased was the "lofted barn" type. It didn't take me long to change the "loft" part into a "floor" part, nearly doubling the inside storage space.
After I completed the new floor, and within an hour of struggling to get a heavy box up the ladder, I was busy designing and making an elevator... All the while nursing a sore back that lasted a week.
Step 1: Preparation:
In order to keep the platform as level as possible, without having to handle multiple lifting lines, I settled on a rig that "ancient" drawing boards used. If you went to school before the 90s, chances are you've seen one. The drawing board rig keeps the platform perfectly level in one direction. I could have placed another just like it facing the opposite direction, but opted instead for a simple bridle that keeps things steady as long as the load is somewhat balanced.
I purchased all the parts I needed at our local hardware store. I chose 2 sizes of line, which is a bit of overkill. One for the hoist, (3/4") and a lighter line for the stabilizer (5/8"). Using 5/8" for everything may have made things a bit easier and less expensive.