First of all. What are anamorphic 3-D pictures?
Anamorphic pictures are 2 dimensional pictures that, when viewed from a certain angle, appear to be 3 dimensional.
This concept is nothing new, The street artist Julien Beever has been doing it for years.
GreaseTattoo already has a great instructable on doing this technique as well as a ton of great examples of the type of things you can do with this. But there is no explanation on doing this technique in any other programs other than Corel Draw.
So after many hours mucking about with GIMP, then Inkscape, then GIMP again, then photoshop I bring you this instructable.

Step 1: Make a New Document and a Grid

Open up photoshop and make a new document to whatever size you want. I made mine
A4 so it would easily fit my printer paper size.

Now go to Image > Image Size and see how many pixels wide your document is and memorize it.

Now make another new document that is a division of your previously opened document.
An A4 document at 300ppi is 2480 pixels wide so I made my new document 248 pixels square.

Now go to Select > All (Ctrl+A) and then go to Edit > Stroke and select any color and make the width around 2 pixels.

Finally go to Select > Deselect (Ctrl+D) and then to Edit > Define Pattern and call it whatever you want and then close the grid square document (You don't have to save it).

Hello! I am attempting to do this project so that I can teach it to my high school graphic design students. I have been unable to get the 3d effect. When I place my grid back in its original place the transform part changes the grid, it elongates it when I try to put it back in line. I see that on yours it snaps back together nicely. Any suggestions? Thanks!
<p>aebeutel, all of your students have probably graduated by now, but I had the issue you talk about when the object I am trying to make 3d is larger than the grid. If you resize it to fit within the grid before moving it back to its original place, it should work much better.</p>
Cant get the grids to come out please help
Now on one of the layers go to Edit &gt; Transform &gt; Distort and grab the middle top drag thingy (Technical Name please?) <br> <br>The click and drag thingy is called the Bounding Box
(Becuase the top 2 corners of the page are further form your eye than the center point of the top edge)
I think if you did a subtle negative &quot;spherize&quot; distort filter to the image layer it would correct the persective further. Very slight but entirely necessary.
Hold_out, GREAT Job... Now, hopefully people without Coreldraw can master this technique. Thanks, for including me in your instructable, too! Just wish I had more time on my hands. Let's see more!!

About This Instructable




More by Hold_out:Anamorphic 3-D Images with Photoshop Emotion thought bubbles Yet another k'nex gun (this ones for the contest) 
Add instructable to: