Introduction: Anatomy Animals
To make one of these creatures you will need:
- Craft Felt
- Hot Glue
- Sewing Machine +Thread
- Freezer Paper
- Printer Paper
- Printer: to print the sewing pattern
Step 1: Printing
- Start off by ironing a piece of freezer paper into a piece of printer paper. Place the coated side of the freezer paper down against the printer paper and iron it for just a few seconds. The freezer paper should stick well enough so that it is able to go through a printer- don’t iron it too much because if they adhere too well they will be hard to separate later.
- When printing, make sure to print onto the freezer paper and not the printer paper. Print one sheet with intestines and one sheet with an animal.
- Once you have everything printed, remove the printer paper from the freezer paper. If it doesn’t peel off easily, run the iron over it for a couple of seconds and immediately after removing the iron try peeling it off again.
- Cut out each individual square.
Step 2: Choose Your Colors
- Choose the colors that you will be using for each organ.
- The larger squares on the printed sheet are 2.5” x 2.5” and the smaller ones are 2.5” x 1.25”.
- For the squares that are 2.5” x 2.5”, your pieces of felt should be cut to measure 3” x 6”.
- For the squares that are 2.5” x 1.25”, your pieces of felt should be cut to measure 3” x 3”.
- Once you have cut the felt, fold each piece in half and iron the appropriate organ to top.
Step 3: Sew and Cut
- Sew over the freezer paper. Sew over the solid black line first and then sew each dashed line individually.
- For the ones that are colored, sew the red line first, the blue line second and the dashed lines last.
- When you are done sewing, peel away the freezer paper and cut each organ out, making sure not to cut too close to the thread.
Step 4: The Body
- Iron the printed sheet onto a piece of felt. Place another piece of felt of the same color underneath. Sew the outline of the animal through both pieces of felt.
- Then, with no thread, “sew” over the partial oval located on the belly of the animal.
- Peel away the freezer paper.
- You should see a faint outline of the oval in the felt. Use scissors to cut along that line- only cut the top layer of felt.
- Cut away excess felt that is around the outline of the animal.
Step 5: The Face
- Cut out the eyes, nose and any other parts of the face you want your creature to have.
- Glue them on with hot glue.
Step 6: Patch It Up
- Cut out small squares of Velcro.
- Hot glue the squares to the belly of the animal, one on each side of the incision OR glue a strip of Velcro to the back of each bandage.
- Throw the organs in and use the bandages to close it up.
Third Prize in the
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.