Android Gingerbread - get it while it's hot!
Just in time for the new Android Gingerbread release date. Now you can be the first kid on the block to have it - and eat it too!
Step 1: Making the Cutters
I made a bunch of different sizes, and chose my favorites.
Then I used some hose clamps (thanks everyone for helping me identify them!) which bent with only moderate force around the templates.
The first one I closed with twist-ties, but by the time I did the robot, I got smart.
Step 2: The Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (360g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (165g)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.
- In a large mixer bowl cream together butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- Add egg and mix on medium speed until well blended.
- Add molasses and vanilla and mix until well blended.
- Gradually stir in dry ingredients until blended and smooth.
Step 3: Cut & Bake
After the dough is chilled, roll it out on a well-floured surface. The dough is soft and sticky enough to support the amount of flour it will take to roll out evenly.
When dough is around 1/4" thick (your preference!), cut out your shapes, and place them well spaced on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, rotating pan half-way through baking time. You can see from the pictures how much they puff up!