Introduction: Anglerfish Cake
- This is my first cake decorating experience!
- This is also my first online "How to" I have ever created!
- Please message if you have questions!
- This is a female Anglerfish.
- I hope you enjoy making this as much as I have!
Step 1: STEP 1: Supplies
"Hacked Cake Mix" OR 8 Cups of your favorite Chocolate Cake Mix
If you do not have time to make a cake from scratch, you can hack a cake like I did below.
- 2 Boxes Chocolate Cake Mix (I used Pillsbury Devils Food Cake)
- 2 Cups of Milk
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Unsalted Butter
- Powdered Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Cocoa Powder
- Flour Sifter (Optional)
Baking & Assembly Tools
- 3 - 8 x 8 Square Baking Dishes
- Mixer and mixing bowl
- Icing Coloring or Food Coloring
- Fondant for fish details
- Icing Spatula
- Carving Knife or small knife
- Large knife for Slicing
- Rolling pin or fondant rolling pin
- Small bowls for icing and dye
- Floral Wire
- Waterproof LED light
- Wooden Dowel
- Plastic cling wrap
- Rolling mat (optional)
Step 2: Baking & Freezing Cake
- After you have mixed your batter, bake cake as directed.
- Check that cake is completely baked in center with tooth pick or skewer. This is very important because it will not freeze correctly if cake is "batter-y" <-- Hahah
- After cake has cooled for about 20 - 30 minutes remove from pan to cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, wrap in plastic wrap, and then wrap the outer plastic wrap layer with foil.
- Make sure to wrap carefully to prevent cake from drying out in freezer.
Step 3: Make the Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
- While the cake is freezing, make the icing. I like to make the icing on the day I plan on icing. I do not ice the cake on the same day I bake it. I left my cake in the freezer for 24 hours.
- Sifting powdered sugar is optional, but I feel that you "get more out of it.
- Add food coloring/icing dye to icing for desired color.
- Cream 2 sticks of butter in a mixer until smooth.
- Add confectioners sugar 1 cup at a time.
- Add 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup depending on how much chocolate flavor you want.
- Add the 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt, and 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.
- More cream and sugar will be added to get a consistency that is fluffy and whipped.
Step 4: Thawing, Carving, and Icing "Crumb" Layer
- Remove 2 of the 3 cakes to thaw. The other will remain in freezer until ready to use.
- Let cake thaw for about 15 minutes. I like to work when it is still cold to the touch, but not completely frozen.
- Begin icing the the "crumb layer." This is the sloppy base layer for your final outer layer.
- Layer on icing on your first layer of cake and move on to ice your second layer of cake.
- I like to carve into my cake after I have iced the crumb layer. This keeps it from sliding around.
- Save the pieces you cut off by placing in plastic wrap and saving in fridge, these can be used to fix any mistakes that make occur from cutting off too much cake.
- Place back in fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
Step 5: More Carving, Icing, and Refridgerating
- Remove the crumb base layer cake after it has cooled in fridge for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Use your last (third cake) to shape the mouth by cutting in half while still frozen. The pieces should still be frozen.
- You do not want these to be completely thawed or they will crumble.
- I place one half on bottom and carved a round shape and scooped cake to make a mouth.
- Use the other half of cake to make the top layer of the mouth. Cut this half in to two pieces. Use toothpicks and wooden cake support to extend the mouth piece above the bottom formed mouth.
- The base of icing will act as glue. If you find your cake pieces to start crumbling, place back in fridge to cool. You will want to keep your cake as cold as possible while working.
Step 6: Fondant Eyes, Teeth, and Fins
- Make fondant shapes with your favorite store bought or homemade fondant.
- I speed up the drying process of the fondant by placing in oven on lowest setting.
- Preheat oven on lowest setting, once preheated turn oven off.
- Place fondant shapes on foil sheet and heat in oven for 15-20 minutes until dry and solid.
Step 7: ADDING THE LIGHT
- Final step is to add the light, the Anglerfish's "bacteria."
- Set your cake on display!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.