This is probably my favorite step, because the antique look really starts to come through. Plus there is an artistic element to sanding, which is usually just annoying and painful :) I used 100 grit sandpaper and started working at the edges to remove portions of the paint. Once I had the edges about where I wanted them, I started working on all the points of the star to wear (ever so slightly) the paint away. I think I even got carried away and worked at the middle of the star a bit. Either way, I just kept checking the area I was sanding frequently to make sure I wasn't getting too rough with it. I think another important part is to make sure you vary the amount of pressure you apply to the sandpaper so the worn spots don't look too uniform.