Introduction: Mini Apartment Planters
Inspired by pinterest and other cute planters, I have designed an easy step by step how to for making this cute planter.
You can also use this as a knick knack holder, Jewelry Holder, Candle Holder and more!
Step 1: Tools & Supplies
You will need the following:
- Oven Bake Clay (any color)
- Wire (I used jewelry beading head pins) (or staples)
- E6000 Glue
- Clear Plastic (if you want to make this into a planter with windows to hold in the dirt)
- Stiff paper (I used a gift tag)
- Wax Paper
- Rolling Pin
- Carving tools
- Marker Cap
Step 2: Rolling & Cutting the Clay
Gather your supplies:
- Go ahead and grab a hefty ball of clay (feel free to grab more if needed, or if you want to make your apartment walls thicker).
- With the stiff paper or tag that I used I was able to cut a square for the ieal size I want my Apartment to be. My paper size was: 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches (perfect for a small plant or trinkets).
- Roll out your Clay ( I went with a thickness of 4mm)
- Place your square pattern down and cut 5 squares (I love using clay so I can ball it up and roll it out for more squares).
- Once you get 5 squares cut, you will need to cut 2 of the squares shorter.These shorter panels will be 2 side walls.
- Line up your square tag ontop of the square and cut off twice the thickness of your clay walls (My walls are 4mm thick, I cut off 8mm)
Tip: If you want to make it a planter, cut out a couple holes in one of the square panels for the base. This will allow water to drain when watering.
Step 3: Cut Out Your Windows
I am going with 2 balcony windows and one round window above where the door will be.
- Use a sharp tool to cut out your ideal window and don't make it too big, as you will still need to add the balcony.
- Pulling out the center may leave the edges all ridged. Try smoothing out the edges with a flat tool.
- Flip over the wall to finish evening any edges.
- Simply press down your Marker Cap to cut out your window.
Step 4: Decorating Your Balcony, Windows, and Door
This step you will need your Plyers and wire and Additional clay for the door.
- Cut out thin strips to form your Balcony. I used 4-5 mm thick strips that are 5-6 mm tall.
- Cut them to the length of the window or a little more
- Locate your Wire and cut out a Staple shape that has a length smaller than the Balcony strips.
- I added two small straight wire cut outs to add more bar like appeal to the balcony.
- If you add the bars, insert them first.. then the staple shape gently into the top center of the Balcony Strip.
- Simply place your Balcony at the base of the window and press down gently.
- Cut out with wire 2 bars that slightly exceed the length of the window.
- Insert one bar horizontally to the left TILL you see that the other end has now reached the window hole
- Then slowly insert the bar into the right side a small ways.
- You can now repeat that step with the vertical bar
- I was able toe simply cut out a rectangle for my door and applied 4 tiny strips to the door for more detail.
- If you want to add a door knob you can use the Head-pin base of the wire and insert it or apply other items after it has baked such as: beads, buttons, marker ink.. or more.
If you want a raised Apartment, simply cut out fat square feet to apply later.
- I gave one of my small side walls 4 windows for additional detail. Feel free to add Circle windows, more doors or what ever your creative mind wants to make this piece unique.
Step 5: Baking and Final Touches
- Make sure to bake each piece to the directions provided, as each brand requires different methods.
- I Baked mine at 275 degrees for 15 mins on Wax paper on a Pyrex dish.
Tip: Bake the walls with metal in them at slightly shorter times, as the metal will heat up the clay faster and may cause the clay to burn and discolor.
- Use small dabs of the E6000 to apply each foot on the base.
- While the base clue is drying, apply thin strips of glue to the walls and hold in place for 30 mins before gluing another wall. (Feel free to apply all 4 together at the same time and use tape to hold them together for an hour.
Note: Your smaller walls will be sandwiched between your front and back walls. This allows the structure to fit evenly on the base.
- Finally apply your 4 walls to the base with glue and let dry for up to 24 hours for a full cure.
Applying Plastic for the windows:
- Don't forget, if you want to make this a planter with soil inside you can glue clear plastic on the inside of the windows so soil doesn't pour out.
Final Touches and Tips:
- If you have some uneven edges, you can go back after the glue has fully dried and apply small bits of clay to smooth out the edges. I baked mine for 5 mins on 275 degrees to let those small amounts of clay bake. (make sure to preheat the oven so the heat is already circulating).
- If your clay burns you can go back after everything is finished and paint the planter to match or get creative and paint some cute designs like vines covering a brick wall, personalizing the apartment with names or glitter.