Step 9: Final Touches
I originally had a manually activated EL wire inverter inside the cube. I replaced this with a QT100 chip, some extra circuitry, and nylon screws to make one of the hearts a capacitive touch sensor insulated from the rest of the cube. But then the batteries leaked everywhere and so I removed it. The capacitive touch sensor was definitely the way to go, but in the future I will put batteries inside some sort of leak proof case.
The hearts are made on TechShop's vinyl cutter and just stuck on. Vector file attached.
The red text on the aluminum plates cleans up with some acetone and a bit of scrubbing.
Included is a picture of my brother, who got this cube for christmas. He can't figure out how to get it open.