Introduction: Apple Cider Brined Turkey
This is a simple brine recipe that will leave your turkey tender, moist and flavorful. I will post the final picture of the final product tomorrow.
- 16 cups apple cider
- 2 cups salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup whole allspice
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- Sliced orange
- 2 cups broth
- 1/2-1 chopped onion
- Fresh sage and thyme
- 20-pound turkey
Step 1: Make Brine
- Bring 4 cups of the apple cider, dry ingredients and vinegar to a boil and then add the let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add chicken broth and the rest of the cider.
- Add cold water, or ice if you want to cool the mixture quickly. Let cool completely.
Step 2: Brine Turkey
- Clean turkey (remove giblets, trim fat, etc.) and rinse.
- Place turkey in brine, breast side down.
- If you have a big enough pot, your could put the brine and turkey in the fridge.
- I have also poured brine into heavy duty bags with the turkey and put it in the fridge in a roasting pan (or fridge drawer).
- My favorite way to brine a turkey is to use the bag method, but then put the bag in a cooler, with ice over the top. I use a turkey bag, and then place the whole thing in a garbage bag in case their is spillage.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.